Knowing Jesus Personally
Christianity is not a system of rules or beliefs. One does not become right with God by virtue of one's good works, right beliefs, or personal status. One can only be right with God on the basis of forgiveness, provided by the sacrificial death of Jesus Christ on the cross. Jesus took on human form, lived a sinless life, died as the sacrifice for our sins, and rose from the grave, conquering death and providing the way to eternal life.
This web page provides information to help you accept that forgiveness, enter a personal relationship with God, and start nurturing and developing that relationship.
* To receive the gift of eternal life, we must recognize our need for salvation and our inability to help ourselves.
- as it is written "There is none righteous, not even one; There is none who understands, There is none who seeks for God; All have turned aside, together they have become useless; There is none who does good, there is not even one." (Romans 3:10-12)
- for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, (Romans 3:23)
- For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord. (Romans 6:23)
* We must call upon God in faith, believing that He alone has the power and the will to forgive our sin and give us the gift of eternal life.
- that if you confess with your mouth Jesus as Lord, and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you shall be saved; for with the heart man believes, resulting in righteousness, and with the mouth he confesses, resulting in salvation. (Romans 10:9-10)
- for "whoever will call upon the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)
- And without faith it is impossible to please Him, for he who comes to God must believe that He is, and that He is a rewarder of those who seek Him. (Hebrews 11:6)
- For by grace you have been saved through faith; and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God; not as a result of works, that no one should boast. (Ephesians 2:8-9)
* Eternal life refers to quality of life as well as length of life. This life is guarenteed by God, not our good works or character. It is by grace, through faith, that this work begins, continues, and is accomplished. Once you are held in God's hand, no one can snatch you out.
- The thief comes only to steal, and kill, and destroy; I came that they might have life, and might have it abundantly. (quote of Jesus in John 10:10)
- He who believes in the Son has eternal life; (John 3:36a)
- My sheep hear My voice, and I know them, and they follow Me; and I give eternal life to them, and they shall never perish; and no one shall snatch them out of My hand. (quote of Jesus in John 10:27-28)
* God, the Holy Spirit, takes up residence in the hearts of those who receive Him and begins the work of molding them into the image of Christ. He teaches, convicts, and guides us. We must continually submit to His leadership in our lives so that our relationship with God grows to be more intimate and more mature each day.
- But if the Spirit of Him who raised Jesus from the dead dwells in you, He who raised Christ Jesus from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies through His Spirit who indwells you. (Romans 8:11)
- For all who are being led by the Spirit of God, these are sons of God. (Romans 8:14)
- Do you not know that you are a temple of God, and that the Spirit of God dwells in you? If any man destroys the temple of God, God will destroy him, for the temple of God is holy, and that is what you are. (1 Corinthians 3:16-17)
- But I tell you the truth, it is to your advantage that I go away; for if I do not go away, the Helper shall not come to you; but if I go, I will send Him to you. "And He, when He comes, will convict the world concerning sin, and righteousness, and judgment; (quote of Jesus in John 16:7-8)
- But when He, the Spirit of truth, comes, He will guide you into all the truth; for He will not speak on His own initiative, but whatever He hears, He will speak; and He will disclose to you what is to come. (quote of Jesus in John 16:13)
- Therefore if any man is in Christ, he is a new creature; the old things passed away; behold, new things have come. (1 Corinthians 5:17)
* The church is an excellent place for one to find support and encouragement from others who are completing this same spiritual journey as well as a place to serve God through the expression of the spiritual gifts with which He equips all His children.
- For just as we have many members in one body and all the members do not have the same function, so we, who are many, are one body in Christ, and individually members one of another. And since we have gifts that differ according to the grace given to us, let each exercise them accordingly: (Romans 12:4-6a)
- And He gave some as apostles, and some as prophets, and some as evangelists, and some as pastors and teachers, for the equipping of the saints for the work of service, to the building up of the body of Christ; (Ephesians 4:11-12)
You can know Jesus personally by receiving Him as your Lord and Savior.
- Speak to God honestly.
- Confess your sin and your inability to overcome sin and ask Him to take control of your life.
- Submit to Him in faith, believing that He can and will save you from your sin for all of eternity and lead you into an abundant life on Earth.
If you would like guidance in making this step, please call our church office at (318) 861-3519 or click the following link to email our pastor.